RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The Triangle job market remains in good shape, as North Carolina’s unemployment rate continues to drop and local employers added thousands of new job openings last week.
As TechWire covered recently, the NC Department of Commerce released its latest seasonally-adjusted unemployment figures showing that the state’s unemployment rate stood at 3.5% in March, down 0.2% from February’s revised rate. This comes as our latest weekly count of local positions on national job boards reveals a boost for some Triangle cities, while the totals dropped for others.
Every Sunday, WRAL TechWire tracks the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. For example, Adzuna shows 4,725 more jobs in Raleigh than it did seven days ago, while LinkedIn and ZipRecruiter have 1,619 fewer positions in the city since last week. Similarly, LinkedIn shows 1,453 more jobs in Durham than it did last week, but the totals fell on ZipRecruiter (-896) and Dice.com (-78).
Employers plan to boost hiring of grads by 26% – here’s best, worst jobs right now
Weekly totals aside, the local job market has bounced back significantly from this time last year, when the state’s unemployment rate hovered 5.2%. Last month, the highest gains were seen in the construction industry, which added 4,200 positions. Education and health services ranked second, with 4,000 new jobs. Other gains spanned manufacturing (+3,200), professional and business services (+2,000), leisure and hospitality (+1,100), and information (+1,000).
However, retail trade dropped 1,200 jobs, transportation and warehousing declined by 400, and mining and logging dropped another 100 positions.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local Jobs on National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 56,169 jobs (+4,174 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 35,817 (+4,725)
- ⇓ Durham County: 12,952 (-4)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 2,939 (-128)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 18,703 (-47)
- ⇓ Durham: 18,488 (-78)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 18,284 (-67)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 39,245 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-612)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,280 (+246), with 3,223 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Durham: 11,195 (+50), with 1,852 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 5,071 (-265), with 829 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇓ Johnston County: 897 (-28), with 168 jobs posted in the last seven days
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 31,729 (-863), with 7,959 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 17,463 (+1,453), with 3,916 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,816 (+111), with 584 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,680 (+50), with 370 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 41,356 (-756)
- ⇓ Durham: 16,774 (-896)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,104 (+17)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 352 (-23)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (264 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (12,067 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (340 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 98 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 52 in Durham and 36 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). Ten local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Advance Auto Parts is hiring a change management communications manager in Raleigh.
- Children’s Flight of Hope seeks a marketing coordinator in Raleigh.
- McKesson posted an opening for a senior marketing strategist in Cary.
- Merck & Co. is hiring an associate marketing director/Scrum master in Cary/Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.
- Verizon is growing its Cary office, posting several new job openings: Public sector marketing manager, product marketing manager, demand generation account-based marketing manager, unified communications project manager, 5G technology product marketing manager and senior marketing recruiter.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 275 jobs at 53 companies.
Over two dozen job openings were posted in the last week:
- Aircraft company flyExclusive seeks a business intelligence analyst in Durham and a services team coordinator.
- Log management software provider LogDNA posted two remote openings for a release engineer and a controller.
- Furniture startup Nugget seeks a manufacturing process engineer, a maintenance technician and an engineering technician in Butner.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring a managing news editor and an accounting associate in Durham.
- Design studio Purpose UX is looking to add a UX designer in Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill.
- Payments software provider Spreedly posted an opening for a professional services engineer in Durham (or remote).
- The Looma Project, a Durham-based digital storytelling startup, is looking to add a director/VP of content sales and strategy.
- Durham’s Tiny Earth Toys, a toy subscription service, is hiring a warehouse associate.
- Edtech startup Upswing seeks a remote new partnership development sales representative.
Bio Jobs Hub
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
UNC-CH launches program focusing on student career development
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 880 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America seeks a credit solutions advisor in Durham/RTP, a relationship banker in Cary/Apex, consumer investment financial solutions advisors in Raleigh and Holly Springs, and a relationship manager and lending specialist in Durham/RTP.
- Bland Landscaping is hiring a landscape installation foreman and a landscape equipment mechanic in Apex.
- Blue Cross NC posted several new job openings in Durham, including principal data and analytics platform engineer, senior accountant, senior communications advisor, case manager, principal communications advisor, marketing campaign strategist, enterprise strategist, senior data and analytics platform engineer (three openings), strategic advisor of cost of care intelligence and enterprise strategy, senior business operations advisor, group market/segment development manager, technical project/program manager associate, senior technical project manager, senior facets developer, principal strategic advisor, business operations advisor, COBI specialist (two openings), senior infrastructure design engineer, senior BI developer/analyst and senior business process auditor.
- Burt’s Bees posted two openings for a business support resource in Morrisville and a remote data analyst.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a sales resource coordinator in Raleigh and a senior accountant in Durham.
- Citrix posted two openings for an engineering manager and a senior product manager in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union is looking to hire a service desk manager, a network engineer and a systems analyst in Raleigh.
- Habitat for Humanity of Durham is hiring a land acquisition and planning associate in Durham.
- Medicago seeks a manufacturing technician, an IT systems manager, and a planning and materials senior associate in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted several positions in Durham, including SSA temporary employee, associate comptroller, supplemental instruction coordinator, assistant professor of language and literature, professor/SunTrust endowed chair, assistant professor of criminal justice, business services coordinator, senior research scientist, facility maintenance technician (building trades), writing specialist, access services clerk and professor/Ben Ruffin endowed professorship.
- Nugget is hiring a manufacturing process engineer, a maintenance technician and an engineering technician in Butner.
- Truist posted several job openings across the Triangle area:
- Cary: Relationship banker
- Chapel Hill: Senior relationship banker
- Durham: Teller/senior teller (multiple openings)
- Fuquay Varina: Financial services specialist
- Holly Springs: Teller/senior teller, financial services specialist
- Raleigh: Software engineer, senior cybersecurity analyst, fiduciary intern, on-demand teller, universal banker, branch coordinator, group product manager, business analyst, health and wellness nurse, indirect auto lender, cybersecurity data science analyst, enterprise data architect, software engineer, SAS AML software engineer, internal auditor, BSA/AML software engineer, cloud cybersecurity solution senior architect, experience design senior researcher, audit data scientist, lead infrastructure engineer, software engineering director, business information analyst, business intelligence developer, cybersecurity compliance senior consultant, governance manager, Java software engineer, senior wealth advisor, digital marketing specialist, nurse coach, cybersecurity product manager, business unit risk manager, senior audit application developer and cybersecurity product owner
- Smithfield: On-demand teller
- William Peace University is looking to add a director of residence life and housing in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Principal scientist specializing in oncology research at Aktis Oncology in RTP
- Senior project manager at Alcami in Durham
- Molecular biology research associate at CoImmune in Durham
- Associate scientist/lab manager at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Postdoctoral associate at Duke University Orthopaedic Surgery in Durham
- Utilities instrumentation technician at Grifols in Clayton
- Senior scientist specializing in immunology, RNA production associate director, scientist/senior scientist specializing in nucleic acid enzyme biochemistry, and senior associate RNA production scientist at Life Edit Therapeutics in Morrisville
- Technology transfer specialist and platform development director at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including senior specialist in laboratory quality control, senior lab instrumentation technician, associate production technician, senior HVAC technician, senior scientist specializing in global vaccines regulatory CMC, senior manufacturing operations technician, validation engineering specialist, senior technician, logistics manager, deviation management specialist, quality assurance manufacturing specialist, senior specialist (in quality, maintenance and reliability engineering), associate director of operations/HPV bulk fermentation, senior technical operations specialist, associate operations production technician, associate quality specialist, technician, technical operations specialist, lab quality control senior specialist, operations manager and vaccine customer representative.
- Postdoctoral research associate at SGC-UNC in Chapel Hill
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
One job was added to the site last week:
- KTL Solutions, a business consulting and software development firm, is looking to hire a demand generation marketing manager in Cary.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,036 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- UNC Health Care System
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- University of North Carolina
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Duke University Health System
- Durham Public Schools
- Fidelity Investments
- Cree Wolfspeed
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 191 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. Several new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Raleigh-based blockchain startup Kaleido posted several openings, including digital marketing specialist, content writer and strategist, product designer, senior product designer, principal front-end engineer, blockchain protocol engineer, site reliability engineer and developer evangelist.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo seeks a senior manager of content strategy (remote) and a corporate counsel.
- Raleigh-based AI startup Pryon is looking to hire a remote lead generation campaign manager.
- PublicInput, a community engagement platform for government agencies, posted three openings: Marketing director, sales director and customer onboarding manager.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems is looking to grow its Raleigh team, posting openings for a senior consultant (remote option), a senior clinical consultant, a Crossix analytics services manager and a Crossix analytics services director.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,511 jobs at 97 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Bank of America (several locations in the Triangle)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Morrisville)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Durham and Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Habitat for Humanity (Durham)
- Kaleido (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- PublicInput (Raleigh)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (several locations across the Triangle)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 11,185 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 9,018 are technology jobs, 1,242 are advanced manufacturing positions, 325 are in cleantech and 600 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from April 12):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Lenovo: 302 jobs in Morrisville (Some news: The company recently announced plans to hire 12,000 R&D professionals over three years)
- SAS: 153 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 8 openings in Raleigh; 73 remote openings in North Carolina
- Pendo: 40 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: 28 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 168 jobs in Durham, per NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Communications software firm Bandwidth currently has 87 open positions at its Raleigh headquarters. Openings span software development, sales, IT, revenue operations, business analytics, finance, legal, marketing, network engineering, operations and more. A few internships are available as well. Read more and apply here.
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, is hiring for several positions, with some offering $10,000 sign-on bonuses:
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
Hospitality Hiring Hour: Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: April 21, 3-6 p.m. (online)
North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for job seekers in the life science field. Participating employers include Biogen, Grifols, GSK, Merck, Seqirus, Thermo Fisher Scientific and others.
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair
UNC Hospitals RN Care Manager & Utilization Manager Virtual Hiring Event: April 25, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
RN care managers and RN utilization managers are invited to apply for an opportunity to interview with UNC Health during this virtual hiring event. Positions are available at UNC Medical Center’s Chapel Hill and Hillsborough campuses and qualify for an extensive benefits package. Read more and submit an application here.
2022 NC State Alumni Career Fair: May 10, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. @Reynolds Coliseum
The Alumni Career Fair is a recruiting event for recent and experienced alumni at NC State and surrounding institutions. More than 70 employers have signed up to attend as of April 10.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.)
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: